Missouri SR-22 Insurance FAQs

What is SR-22 Insurance?

AN SR-22 filing provides a guarantee to the Missouri Department of Revenue MVDL that an insurance company has issued at least minimum liability coverage for the person submitting the filing; and that the insurance company will notify the Missouri Secretary of State should the insurance ever lapse for any reason.

The following are minimum liability insurance coverages that must be carried by Missouri motorists. While these are the minimum amounts of liability insurance, all insurance providers offer the option to purchase higher limits:

  • $25,000 bodily injury per accident
  • $50,000 bodily injury liability for all injuries in an accident, and
  • $10,000 in property damage in one accident

How long do I need the SR-22 insurance filing/proof of insurance?

Generally for one to three years, depending on the reason why you are required to have SR-22 coverage.

Who Needs a SR-22 Filing?

SR-22 Insurance is also known as high risk auto insurance. Anyone whose Missouri driver’s license has been suspended or revoked. This includes drunk driving violations; suspensions due to accumulation too many points on your driver’s license due to traffic tickets, suspensions from unpaid fines or parking violations, failure to submit to a chemical test during a DWI arrest, and uninsured accidents.

Where do I get SR-22 proof of insurance for court?

STL Insurance Stop offers instant proof of insurance and SR-22 filing. If you need proof of insurance by an SR-22 filing we can get you instant proof of insurance.

How do I get a SR22 Filing to reinstate my drivers license?

You must purchase minimum liability coverage on the vehicle(s) you own. If you do not own a motor vehicle, you must purchase “non-owners” liability coverage. Pricing for SR-22 coverage is based on your driving record (accidents and traffic tickets), where you live, and your number of years of driving experience.

Can I Get SR-22 Coverage if I do not own a vehicle?

Yes. This is called a non-owners policy. If you do not own a vehicle you can still get SR-22 insurance coverage under a non-owner’s insurance policy. This type of policy is not tied to a specific vehicle, it can be used for any vehicle the SR-22 holder uses. If you own a vehicle you must purchase an owner’s policy and have your vehicle tied to your SR-22 coverage.

I already have insurance. Why can’t I just send in my current insurance policy?

Once your driver’s license has been suspended the state requires an SR-22 policy as proof of insurance. You can still keep your current insurance coverage provided it meets the state requirements, and add an SR-22 filing to your current policy. An SR-22 policy is filed with the state to show that you have proof of insurance. This makes it easy for the state of Missouri to keep track of whether or not you have your required auto insurance.

What happens if my insurance lapses while I am required to hold SR-22 coverage?

The insurance company will file an SR-26 with the Missouri Department of Revenue stating that you are no longer carrying your required liability insurance. You will not be legally allowed to drive until your SR-22 coverage is reinstated.

If I am required to have SR-22 coverage in another state and move to Missouri what do I do?

You would need to obtain SR-22 coverage in Missouri and have it sent to the state that requires you to hold SR-22 coverage. STL Insurance Stop can handle this process for you.

How do I get the cheapest rate on SR-22 coverage?

We shop the top-rated insurance carriers to find you the lowest cost SR-22 coverage available. All of our SR-22 policies meet Missouri’s requirements for SR-22 coverage. Your location, driving history, amount of miles you drive, and credit score also go into determining your auto insurance rate for SR-22.

Do I have to get an SR-22 filing from the same company that provides my regular auto insurance?

No. You may get an SR-22 filing from any insurance company that offers it.

How long do I have to keep my SR-22 filing?

The length of time you must carry an SR-22 filing depends on the reason why you are required to have an SR-22. You should talk with your lawyer or the court to see how long you must carry an SR-22 policy.

Will my SR-22 policy automatically stop after my required time is up?

No. You must contact your insurance agent to cancel your SR-22 filing once the allotted time is up, otherwise your policy will continue.

More Information